Mi Zarape Mexican Restaurant – Pontiac and Southfield – Review
Mi Zarape Mexican Restaurant has locations in Pontiac and Southfield, Michigan.
It’s déjà vu when walking into Mi Zarape in Pontiac. Somehow, I’m feeling as though I just stepped into Grand Azteca Mexican restaurant in Troy (click here for Grand Azteca review & photos). The tables are decorated the same with Mexican art and motifs. The Mi Zarape menu is written very similarly to Grand Azteca’s, down to similar entrees as well as the nice small section containing descriptions of the authentic Mexican foods.
Another similarity – it’s not too crowded. We went on a Friday night at prime time and there was plenty of room. Maybe Mi Zarape is more of a lunch establishment for the local businesses.
I compared Grand Azteca’s and Mi Zarape’s menus side by side. They have many of the exact same offerings. Mi Zarape has a few more selections in each category, for example, Mi Zarape offers 11 different Fajitas dishes where Grand Azteca has seven. This is the pattern throughout the menus. The pricing is average for both restaurants, nothing outrageously expensive and not one is a much better deal than the other.
The salsa at Mi Zarape is smooth and not too spicy…nice for kids. Kids meals are $4 and there are eight different dishes to choose from. The food at Mi Zarape was served within mere minutes aka Grand Azteca style. I swear, all the similarities have me wondering if these two Mexican restaurants are under the same ownership or if these people stalk one another and copy every move to stay competitive.
I ordered the chicken chimichanga for comparison sake and it was identical to Grand Azteca’s. So, it seems like it comes down to who’s preparing the food. And, maybe the foods are so similar because it is honestly pretty generic Mexican fare.
The menu at Mi Zarape includes appetizers, salads, a lunch menu, combination dinners, vegetarian dishes, house specials including nachos, chimichangas, and burritos and more. They also have eleven difrent fajitas dishes, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos, shrimp, chicken and steak dishes, a full bar, margaritas, daiquiris, wine, and beer.
Mi Zarape Mexican Restaurant
3800 Centerpoint Pkwy
Pontiac, MI 48341
Mi Zarape Mexican Restaurant
29555 Northwestern HWY Suite 308-312
Southfield, MI 48034
Phone # (248) 799-9272
See related articles and posts below for more Oakland County and Metro Detroit, Michigan restaurant reviews, pics and more.
- Sagebrush Cantina - Lake Orion MI - Review
- El Patio Mexican Restaurant - Waterford & Farmington Hills, MI - Review and Pics
- El Charro Mexican Restaurant - Troy - Review and Pics
- Azteca's Mexican Restaurant - Shelby Township - Review and Pics
- Grand Azteca Mexican Restaurant - Troy, Michigan - Review and Pics
- La Botana Mexican Food Restaurant - Troy - Review
- Monterrey Cantina Royal Oak Review Pics
- Forest Mexican Cantina Lake Orion Restaurant Review
- Oakland County Mexican Restaurants - Reviews
- Santa Fe Authentic Mexican Restaurant - Auburn Hills, MI - CLOSED
- Miguels Cantina - Rochester Hills, MI - Review
- Esplendido Restaurant Shelby Township Review & Pics